According to brisbane kids dentist kids-dentist.com.au, Although “bleeding gums” is an almost common condition, it should never be neglected. Bleeding gums can be a sign of gum disease, and if left untreated, it will lead to more severe conditions.
- In some cases, using hard-bristled toothbrushes can cause sensitivity and bleeding of the gums.
- Flossing aggressively can hurt your gums and cause bleeding.
- Plaque buildup on the teeth will usually cause irritation for the gums and make them prone to bleeding. Poor oral hygiene is generally the main reason for plaque buildup on the teeth, which will create unnecessary dental complications for you.
- Pregnant women may witness bleeding gums, which can be due to hormonal changes in the body.
- Vitamin C and K deficiency can increase the risk of bleeding gums.
- Inflammation of the gums, known as gingivitis, can cause gums to bleed; it is an early stage of gum disease.
- Blood-thinning medications, such as warfarin, aspirin, and heparin, may sometimes be the reason for your bleeding gums.
- Your ill-fitting dentures can also cause irritation and lead to bleeding gums.
- Bleeding gums can sometimes be an early sign of some types of cancer like Leukaemia.
Whatever may be the reason, bleeding gums are not to be ignored because they can easily lead to other serious dental or medical conditions.
Contact our experienced dental professionals to discuss the nature of your case and receive immediate care.